[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 13:43:58 EST 2005

Geoff,

    I'm 54 1/2 yrs young.  I've run AM off and on since about 1982.

    I started with an SX-101A and an HT-37 that the local club in
Columbus, GA put up for auction since they wanted to replace the station
in the City EOC with a TS-520S.  I won with the ONLY bid of $75.

    The vast majority of "new" hams wouldn't touch it since they had to
figure out how to sync a separate Tx/Rx.

    Kept that station until about 1988, when I donated it to a High
School Science department.  Sure wish I had kept it!

Bob - N0DGN

Geoff wrote:

> n6dgy at kirtland.com wrote:
>
>> I believe Harry, ZL2MM was the first DX for many novices.  My first was
>> JH1WIX, Taroh Yagi, who also frequented the US Novice frequencies.
>> Harry
>> was not far down the log as my second DX.  This was in the summer of
>> 1980,
>> I was about 15 years old, and freshly licensed as KA6JWD.
>> I wish I could regain some of that old excitement.  It's been a LONG
>> time
>> since I've been on HF.  I'm renewing my interest ham radio with older
>> vacuum tube gear such as a DX-100, Globe Scout, etc which are awaiting
>> restoration and repair.  Several QRP projects are also in the works.
>>

> HOLY CRAP!
>
> Somone on this list, is interested in AM, and is YOUNGER than me?
> (46yrs)
> ;-)
>
> My first Novice contact, as KA5THB, was with the most appropriate ham
> I could
> think of... W5OMR.
> My Dad was issued that call back in nineteen forty-something, when he
> exited (from
> what HE called) the Moron Corps, and started working for the 'simple
> servants' out
> in Los Alamos, NM.
> Originally issued W0BYB, in Ark City, KS, when you changed call areas,
> you had to
> (back then) change call signs, and take what they gave you.
>
> 73 = Best Regards,
> -Geoff/W5OMR

                       Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-60                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |