[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 2 16:03:06 EST 2005

The year was 1972, and I was wn8pep. I had a two
transistor push pull crystal oscillator running 2
watts RF output on 3740 Khz. I lived in a apartment,
with a random wire out the window to a nearby tree. I
called CQ, and finally another novice wn8pip came back
to me giving me a 569 report. My transmitter used
germanium transistors, 2n404, and when they over
heated they would go into a thermal run-away. Since
they were in sockets, when one would short out, I'd
replace them both, and go on with the qso. I went
through several transistors during that FB QSO.

I had a stash of computer boards using these
transistors. This was a fun time. I was a junior in
high school, and as you might guess, I did not get a
lot of dates back then.

Jim