[AMRadio] Insulin Pump RFI?

Ed Berbari eberbari at indy.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 17:15:30 EST 2005

Gentleman,

The interference problem between RF sources and medical devices is real, but
fortunately a declining one.  For many years the medical device industry did
not do a good job in their designs but most devices were in a controlled
enviroment.  However the medical devices have moved to the real world with
such devices as pacemakers, etc.

A lot of the intereference has to do with the mode of modulation.  The newer
digital phones can actually have peak power outputs of 10-12 Watts and
indeed could cause some problems with devices like pacemakers.  This problem
was identified early on and there has been a fix.

However the risk can be real.   http://www.ou.edu/engineering/emc/

Ed, W9EJB