[AMRadio] Insulin Pump RFI?

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 4 07:42:23 EST 2005

Ed,

   I used to work in a EMI lab where we would test military gear for EMC.
That was back in the late 80's when the standard test criteria was mil-std
461. We would test in a RF proof chamber (metal walls) and would bombard the
unit under test with RF from 14 Khz to 18 Ghz at high field strength.
Everything tested failed at some frequency and at some field strength. We
would also test by conducting RF into the wiring. This was a ham radio
operator paradise where an array of amplifiers, antennas, spectrum
analyzers, etc. were used daily. My ham radio knowledge paid off too where
sometimes we had to clean up the RF with quarter wave stubs, filters, etc.
because the broad band amplifiers often passed on harmonics at only -20 db
down.

  I guess the point is that although medical devices implanted in our body
can be life saving, given the right circumstances they also might do the
opposite. I hope that the manufacturers test the heck out of this stuff
similar to what I used to do with military gear in the old emi lab.

I sure miss that job..

Regards,
Jim