[AMRadio] N3RHT Shack Update

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Sat Mar 5 14:55:58 EST 2005

Merz Donald S wrote:

>The 2 supplies run two 3B28 rectifiers each. 3 of them run with no visible indication at all.
>You can't even see the filament. But one gets a dramatic glow under load.
>I have not seen this before--is that gas in the tube?

I hope so - 3B28s are supposed to have gas in them (some noble gas or a
mixture of them; not sure but I seem to recall argon). But seriously,
the fact that one is glowing more than the other might indicate a
problem with one of the tubes, not necessarily the one that glows more,
or a difference in the amount of current being handled between the two
tubes, which needs to be dealt with.

> So with any luck I should have the rig on the air sometime in April. This will be the
>highest power AM TX in my shack when it's done.

Can't wait to hear it (and I'm sure I will, if you're reasonably active
with it) and perhaps engage it/you in a QSO.

I'm slowly but surely working my way down the project list to the
restoration/completion of a homebrew 30's AM open relay rack
transmitter. Except this one will use 866As in the PS for that "trippy
blue glow."

73,
-Larry/NE1S