[AMRadio] Virgin ARC-5s!

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 20:00:20 EST 2005

>Best part is, the later ARC-5 modulator is actually plate modulated. A
>few folks have complete, working stations on the air, not sure if any
>are currently checking into the weekend Military net early Saturday
>mornings.

My first homebrew modulator, in early 1960, used the modulation transformer
from one of these.  I used a pair of triode connected class B 807's in the
modulator, and was able to modulate about 100 watts.  Audio quality sucked,
but not sure how much was due to my modulator/driver circuit and how much to
the modulation transformer itself.  But I doubt if it had much low-end
frequency response.

I later upgraded to a commercial ham radio quality multi match modulation
transformer.  Don't know what ever happened to the ARC-5 modulation
transformer.

Don K4KYV