[AMRadio] anyone for qrp am?

Rev. Don Sanders innatehealing at bigplanet.com
Sun Mar 6 18:13:59 EST 2005

Several years ago the ARRL mobile manual and handbook had several 20 watt
range mobile single and multiband rigs usinf 2E26, 807, etc. finals with
modulators. I built a couple monoband for 40 and 20 and was able to several
hundred miles consistantly on 40. I built a 28-9er with 3 watts out on ten
running off the vibrator supply of the car radio and worked the world. I
have worked coast to coast and DX on 40 and 20 with DX35 on AM. So given you
have a GOOD antenna and the Gods of propagation are with you lots of
stations can be worked. Just like runing QRP CW today - it is the operator
and conditions.
I believe it is so easy to find older am rigs and to build a 15 to 30 watt
AM/CW rig that it would be great for local clubs and groups to build 40
meter rigs and have a local freq as well as work others beyond the range of
the 2 meter repeaters.  Look for me on 7285 to 7295.

Healthfully yours,
                          DON W4BWS