[AMRadio] anyone for qrp am?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:10:03 EST 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:00:27 EST, W7QHO at aol.com <W7QHO at aol.com> wrote:
> Back in the 90s there was a flurry of QRP AM activity in the Northeast.
> Known as PW (for P*** Weak)    and included award certificates and nets. Max
> carrier level was 10 watts with a lower power sub-class.   Brain child of K1JJ as
> I remember.   I ran a 9 watt rig , 6AV5 PA modulated by a pair of 6AV5s with a
> 3-diode ultramod circuit running 200% positive modulation peaks.   Had real
> punch!
> Interest died out after a year or so as I recall.

Yep, that and the 'cake pan' crowd which I believe was started by ol'
1-EYE, Carl WB1EYE and maybe Richaroni, K1ETP. Revived the old idea of
building pissweak rigs on an upside down cake pan as a
breadboard/chassis. It was fun while it lasted. IIRC, they even
offered a kit.

Class E is the latest fad. Some nice sounding rigs, but I'll stick
with tubes. Haven't had enough time to get the old gear back on the
air, muchless to enjoy it. There were nights in the early 90s when I
was the PW signal on frequency with my 32V-2.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ