[AMRadio] N3RHT Shack Update

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Tue Mar 8 16:25:23 EST 2005

Nice advice. Thanks.
73, Don M.

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net]On Behalf Of Donald Chester
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:40 PM
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [AMRadio] N3RHT Shack Update

>I have the same phenomenon with the 872's or 575's (whichever happen to be
>installed) in a homebrew rig. 3 light but one is dark, and the phenomenon
>stays at that socket. No obvious other issues.. how curious.

Make sure the tube filament pins are making good contact.  I have seen it
fail due to corrosion of the contacts in the sockets, or sometimes they get
sprung to the point there is no tension on the pin.

Make sure you have the same filament voltage on each tube (check it with a
voltmeter by actually touching the tube pin itself, not the socket
terminals, with the meter probe).  Also observe the glow of the filaments to
estimate if they are getting equal voltage.

If the filaments are getting proper voltage, try swapping the leads to the
plate caps of the tubes.  Maybe the plate transformer has gone defective and
is no longer putting out equal voltage on each half of the winding under
load.

Don k4kyv