[AMRadio] Mike

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Mar 15 10:32:33 EST 2005

Steve,

     I just was reading about this in my "Radiotron Designers Handbook"
where a simple preamp using a 6SJ7 was used with a crystal microphone. In
short you can use a higher grid resistance to change the frequency response
(more lows), but the text describes the limitations involving reverse grid
current, dc operating point shift, signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, and
so on. There also is some alternative circuitry shown to give you some ideas
if you want to do some extensive modifications. I find it interesting that
they show the 6SJ7 in triode mode using two different techniques.

    I scanned in several pages, and have posted them on the net at the
following link. The text is sideways, and you can turn image 90 degrees CCW
with your Acrobat reader. Hope this helps.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Preamps/Mic_Preamps.pdf

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO