[AMRadio] SSB AM revisited

k0ng at inebraska.com k0ng at inebraska.com
Thu Mar 17 19:58:37 EST 2005

Gary:
SSB AM, like any "linear system" must have the sideband amplitude carefully
adjusted in relation to the carrier in order for the diode detector to
reproduce the AM without excessive distortion. It can be made to sound
fairly well, in my opinion. Other than the carrier being used to lock a PLL
as Don-KYV has suggested, the carrier serves another good purpose. That
is to "quiet down" any noise between sylables. Good quality SSB dosnt
sound bad except for the junk in between sylables. The overall reduction in
bandwidth on transmit makes us better neighbors and the reduction in receive
bandwidth favors us without as much QRM. I dont expect many hams to use
SSB AM, much like we didnt use NBFM or NBPM early on. If the radio didnt
come equipped with mode, we would have to experiment.

73 ,  Charlie,  K0NG