[AMRadio] 5100b Normal operation?

Geoff w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sun Mar 20 08:48:24 EST 2005

George KB2Z wrote:

> Morning all,
> 5100b , Is it normal? question.
> When in the HV setting the the tx relay closes and the rx mutes.
> In phone with PTT its not an issue but in CW the HV switch acts more
> like a send receive switch.
> The rx is muted as long as the HV is on. Key up, key down, makes no
> difference.
> Is it normal for the 5100b or is something crossed?
> If normal was it ever addressed? I dont need QSK but the on/off
> switching of the HV is a bother.
> Thanks in advance, George KB2Z

Yup, that's normal of all those older rigs that incorporated seperate
transmitters and receivers.

It wasn't until the 60's, with the advent of "vox" when 'break-in' CW
came about.  I -think-
one of the first rigs to do this, that was still a seperate machine from
the receiver, was the
Hallicrafter HT-37.

Revolutionary, those 60's. :-)

73 = Best Regards,