[AMRadio] ARRL Bandwidth Regulation -- I'm Worried!

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed May 11 03:03:34 EDT 2005

Gary WB8BEM/8 wrote:
> I'm sorry Pete, but that still doesn't make it right!

It's a tentative proposal; there's no right or wrong here. They're
looking to the future of the amateur radio service 5, 10, 20 years down
the road. The ARRL made an unprecedented move by tossing out this
proposal to all of us for comments well before the BoD will make its
decision to submit or not. You also have the right, if you so desire, to
write your own proposal on bandwidth, mode, frequency allocation,
licensing, etc. and submit it to the FCC. If the FCC feels there's merit
to it, it can assign it some official status and throw it out for
comments.

> What is their goal? It seems they want to go all digital?

Quote from ARRL:  ""We are in the early stages of a dramatic shift in
amateur HF operating patterns, and it's impossible to predict where this
shift may lead," Sumner said. "The FCC rules should not stand in the way
of where technology takes us in our fulfillment of the bases and purposes
of Amateur Radio." The initiative is aimed in part at encouraging new
digital modes, but the primary emphasis is to avoid having to write a new
rule every time a new mode bursts onto the scene. The League's proposals
will establish a framework that creates an environment for change over
the next decade--and perhaps longer"

There's nothing in their proposal that abolishes any current existing
mode.

> If no one opposes this, The ARRL will prevail as they did with
incentive licensing.

ARRL didn't pass incentive licensing; the FCC did. The ARRL made a
proposal and no set of comments back to the FCC was convincing enough to
sway the FCC.

> Sure seems to me that if it's not broke, don't fix it!

It will slowly start to crack as more and more new digital modes come on
the scene over the 5, 10, 20 years.

If you want to see some great paranoia, go up on the QRZ forum and read
some of the threads on this subject.

Pete, wa2cwa