[AMRadio] "unprecedented"

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Thu May 12 13:17:07 EDT 2005

Quote VJB - "Many of us interpret their actions like this:"

Many = 2, 5, 10, 100, 1000, forum buddies ??
FYI Current A.R.S. license statistics as of Apr. 05 - 666,746

Quote VJB - "The ARRL failed to get a consensus on whether the threatened
petition was wanted,..."

They foresee a need in the future of amateur radio, as more and more
digital modes come on the scene, to start putting something like this in
place. There is no precedent, that I can recall, that says you should ask
for permission or get consensus before you submit a proposal to the FCC.
Amateurs have been submitting proposals/petitions to the FCC for years
without asking anyone for consensus. The FCC will decide if the proposal
has any merit  to assign it some official status, and then provide time
for comments and review.

If you feel (or the "many") that you have a better vision of  guiding
amateur radio's future as more and more digital modes come on the scene,
then you should put "pen to paper" and come up with your own proposal and
submit it to the FCC.

The most common comment I've seen, "amateur radio isn't broke; no reason
to fix it", etc. does not address the issues, 5, 10, 15 years down the
road that the amateur radio service will face as more and more of these
digital modes come on the scene in our present frequency assignments.

Pete, wa2cwa