[AMRadio] EQ matters

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 07:39:18 EDT 2005

Thanks for posting about the EQ. I swear the check's
in the mail for your nice comments there, P.J. And I
totally agree that there's a lot of satisfaction from
achieving a warm sound on transmit and receive.

John to your point on linear response, yes! and it
remains a problem in my T-368, which has a tremendous
amount of bypass capacitance in the RF tank, ruining
any high end response. I can boost the highs at the EQ
and it helps overcome that rolloff to some extent,
then it just gets dirty so I back it down. The
solution is to find the time to re-work the RF tank as
documented many places on the internet.

On the other hand, how many times have you heard
someone running a very peaky microphone on a rig that
already has a peak in the midrange?  Makes things
sound WORSE !

Paul/VJB
Annapolis