[AMRadio] 117Z6GT question

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu May 26 14:40:39 EDT 2005

George:  You might search around for some old "Globar" resistors.  Install
on the input line and they will absorb some of that inrush resulting in
longer life for the tubes.

I found a card of them (they were in little packets that one pulled off like
the pull tabs you bought at the beer joint) in little bags.  They were used
in TV sets and AC/DC radios.  Check for a parts store that has been in
business for a long time and find the guy with gray hair and an unsteady
walk.  He will know what you are talking about.

73  Jim
W5JO

I'm repairing an old am radio that uses at 117Z6GT as a rectifier. I
have the radio working again, but I notice when I turn it 117Z6 filaments
glow really bright for a couple of seconds. Then settle
down to what you would expect to see, a red glow.
I don't have any experience with this tube, or how it should act at turn
on.

It what I'm seeing a normal condition?
Thanks,
George KE4HJ