[AMRadio] Globar brand thermistors

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Thu May 26 17:48:10 EDT 2005

One thing about those "Globar" units - the type you want for the filament
string is not the same as the type you want for the degausser.  You want an
NTC (negative temperature coefficient) type for filament string inrush
current control, and you want a PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) type
for the degausser.

Digi-Key ( www.digikey.com ) has these units under "NTC Thermistors" and
"PTC Thermistors."  I don't know if Globar is still around, but a lot of
companies make them.

  Bacon, WA3WDR

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "gwt" <gwt at mpinet.com>
To: <wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com>; "Discussion of AM Radio"
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Globar brand thermistors

> Yea, when Jim reminded me of those globars, I realized that
>would be perfect to slow down the current surge on my
> my old radio with the 117Z6 rectifier, that lights up like a
> light bulb when you first turn it on! That's gotta shorten the life
> of the tube, big time!
> In my mind's eye, I could see one of those globars, still in the
> card, someplace in all my old TV krap that I never threw away.
> The question is - can I find it?
> So I headed out to my storage area, rumaged around, found
> my old tube caddy, and found the globar, still in it's wrapping,
> just like I saw it in my mind's eye. Way Kool!
> 73,
> George KE4HJ

More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 14 Dec 2017.