[AMRadio] Globar Brand Thermistors

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri May 27 10:11:40 EDT 2005

I think George mentioned he only found one.  If that is the case you should
put a polarized line cord on the unit and put the Globar in series with the
hot lead, provided the Globar is a NTC.

73  Jim
W5JO

George KE4HJ and Others-

I worked for Electronic Parts Company in Albuquerque, New Mexico from 1977
through 1993. We stocked the full line of Workman Electronic Products of
Glowbar brand thermistors. The values 85 to 100 ohms seems to be correct. As
you and others indicated they were used to minimize voltage surge when an
electronic product was initially turned on. A good idea for any electronic
product that uses tubes, especially rectifiers and regulators as they are in
the front end of the circuit. And yes the ones for the AC line were Negative
Temperature Coeffiecient, while the degaussing circuit on a color TV was
Positive Temperature Coefficient.

Bob WB5YYX
Life Member New Mexico Radio Collectors Club
Antique Wireless Association Member