[AMRadio] Globar brand thermistors

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 10:23:52 EDT 2005

Don't confuse Globar thermistors with Globar resistors.  The latter are
non-inductive power resistors often used in dummy loads and parasitic
suppressors.

My dummy load is made up of a dozen 600 ohm 150 watt Globars.  Each one is
about 18" long and 1" in diameter.  Supposedly you can heat them to a dull
red glow without hurting them, but I have never tried running that much
power, and I'm not sure what such abuse would do to the resistance.  I have
heard of the ones used in parasitic suppressors of high power BC
transmitters (50 kw) glowing under parasitic conditions.

Don