[AMRadio] Need list of good AM radios to start looking for . . .

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 09:10:33 EST 2005

John (W5HG) wrote:

>I have been bitten by the AM bug and would like to know what to look for at some of these Hamfest. I know their will be all kind of opinions but that is what I need. The first rig I bought a few years ago with this mind was a Yaesu ft100D....big mistake.  My other rig I use in the house is a Yaesu FT1000MP Mark V.  I have been searching for settings to get it to sound good but not being too successful. I have the MD200 mike with it.  Any help here would be appreciated too until I can find the best sounding AM rig I can find. Please steer me in the right direction of which radios from the modern rigs to the older models that are great AM radios or ones that can be made to be good AM radios. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Well, first off you probably need to get out of the mindset that any
transistorized HF Tranciever built after ohh... 1980 or so, ain't gonna
suit your means.

As far as a good AM transmitter, find one of the 100w models... A good
working Johnson Viking II, a Heathkit DX-100, B&W 5100, Collin 32V 1, 2
or 3, etc... somewhere in the 100w range.  Of course, these are -tube-
radios that are plate modulated.  Meaning, they've got modulation
transformers, and tubes, and big heavy iron in them, with lethal
voltages contained within.

While it's not -always- true (The Class E rigs with Class H modulators
that are all solid state), the generalized statement can be said, of the
AM mode of operation:
"If you want it to sound like AM, you need tubes."

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR