[AMRadio] Need list of good AM radios to start looking for . . .

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 09:56:34 EST 2005

John (W5HG) wrote:

>Thanks Geoff,
> I have figured that much out about the latest rigs. The 100D was really bad. I dream of finding a good tube type from some little lady that has one stuck up in the attic... Geoff ,  thanks for time. I will copy these down you gave me. It will make going to the Hamfest that much more fun. I'm kind of scared of Ebay but that might be a way to go too. Is the old Yaesu ft101 or maybe ft102 radios worth a try? I see a few of them here and there.

Mike/WZ5Q used to get good results from his FT-102.  I've heard some
FT-101's (different suffixes) that didn't do too bad.  But, these rigs
are also good for around 100w PEP output on SSB.  For AM you'll probably
get around 25w of useable Carrier when properly modulated.  You'll need
an amplifier behind it to get a good 100w of carrier, that will handle
the 4x PEP (typical AM signal) or 400w PEP.

We've had this discussion in the group in recent past.  I don't know if
there's an archive of messages available for the AM Reflector, or not.

Best of luck.

In the 5 call area, there's a bunch that gets on in the Early Morning (4
~ 4:30AM time frame) for a couple of hours on 3.885, then there's
another group of us that are active from around 7:30'ish till around 9am
on 3.880.  Nore in the northern part of the 5 call area, is a group that
meets around 6am, or so, on 3.890.  North Texas, OK, Ark.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR