[AMRadio] Dumber than a rock question . .

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sun Nov 13 19:46:26 EST 2005

Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Dumber than a rock question . .

> Barrie,
>
>    If I understand your post correctly, the relays
> you intend to use are part of an antenna tuner.
> Asumming the relays are rated for your need, think
> about the maximum voltage, and current that the
> interconnects must withstand. If the current is over
> an amp or two, or if the voltage is over 500 volts,
> I'd consider that into your design. I might be tempted
> to "dead bug it" where I mount the PC mount relays on
> their backs with glue, and point to point wire with
> the voltage, current, and frequency in mind. I like
> using buss wire, and Teflon sleeve tubing for proto
> typing circuits such as this.
>
> Good luck,
> Jim
> WD5JKO

Jim:

No, these PC relays are to be mounted in a box, in the shack.  The relays to
short turns on the coil in the box outside are vacuum relays, which the PC
relays will actuate, and the PC relays will also light a LED to let me know
how many turns are shorted.

The whole system is to enable me to shunt-feed a tower for both 160 and 80M.
(I know, I know it's a rather complex way to do this, but it should work
very, very well after initial setup.)

73, Barrie, W7ALW