[AMRadio] Re: Need list of good AM radios to start looking for .

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Wed Nov 16 11:07:02 EST 2005

Any good AM rig with 10-20 watts carrier can be brought to legal limit with
a big G-G linear amplifier like the SB-220. A cleaned up (audio mods and
less carrier control) Heath DX-60 is a good companion to the SB-220.

If you want plate modulation. my vote would be for something like a Johnson
Viking Ranger II. There are tons of modification sites on the Ranger, and
even in stock form these do pretty well. You do usually need to drop the
power a bit to keep from over driving most linears. One modification is to
run the RF Final 6146 and modulator off the low B+.

Jim WD5JKO