[AMRadio] Re: Need list of good AM radios to start lookingfor.

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Wed Nov 16 16:37:25 EST 2005

John,

    If you go this route with a series dropping resistor, think about the
heat and safety of the modification. On the Central Electronics 20a VFO
(modified BC-458, arc-5), there is a similar resistor on the back of the
chassis that drops the B+ from about 300 to 105 volts (OC3?). The
connections are bare, and the resistor gets so hot it will burn you in a
split second, and if the heat don't get you the B+ will! I been burned and
shocked several times. I keep saying that I'm going to make that more safe,
but I never do.

 I cannot recall if the ranger has keyed HV B+ like a Viking II. If it does,
maybe you can use a relay to switch the LV B+ to the final and modulator,
and key the relay with the transmit switch. This way you won't have to use a
dropping resistor from the HV B+. Those folks that know Rangers out there
can jump in to clarify a yah or nah on this idea.

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO