[AMRadio] Tansmitter power reduction (Ranger)

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Wed Nov 16 22:11:43 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wrote:

> I don't know if the power supply come from the same XFMR or not but what
> does "10 on the knob" mean?

  In the Ranger, the LV feed to it's rectifier is from two equidistant taps
between CT and the 'ends' of the HV secondary, the which ends feed the HV
rectifier.  I'm a bit worried that if I run the whole radio on the LV
winding, it will stress it. If anyone has any concrete "real-world" actual
experience with doing this, I'd love to hear how it worked out.

   Guitar (and other musical) amplifiers traditionally have their volume
knobs marked 0 - 10, thus '10' is 'loudest'.  From whence derives the joke
in Spinal Tap - "This amp was custom made for me - see? the knobs all go
to *11*!!!"

  Cheers
John  KB6SCO