[AMRadio] FS: Hickok 752A, Mackay 3010C, more

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Mon Nov 21 09:51:09 EST 2005

For Sale

Hickok 752A tube tester. One of the last models made
and probably the best ever made by Hickok. Tests TX
tubes up through 811 and 6146. Both sections of
dual-section tubes like 12AU7 can be tested at the
push of a button-without any setting changes. Tests VR
tubes. Tests virtually all tube types from 4-pin
through Nuvistor including all the weird compactron
types. This one is from an estate. I tested about 6
tubes and this seems to work fine. Roll chart is good.
But some switch cleaning and socket contact cleaning
may be desirable (or the old back and forth--insert
and remove tube 12 times deal). Cosmetically clean and
original. The case covering is in good shape. No rust
or other problems. With manual copy and copy of tester
settings list. Nice. $379

Hickok CA-5 Universal test adapter. Hickok testers
without the compactron sockets and nuvistor sockets
can use this adapter to test those tubes types. So
this would be for your 533 types and the 600 series.
This plugs into the 9-pin socket. This one has a
couple marks on it but is otherwise in excellent,
almost like new condition. $69

ITT Mackay Marine 3010C HF receiver. This famous HF
receiver uses a unique circuit with extremely high
gain in the front end. Collins mechanical filters are
used for narrow and medium filtering (both are present
in this one). MC and KC are displayed separately. The
KC display uses a long reel of what looks like 16mm
film. As you turn the main tuning knob, the "film"
spools from one reel to another, across the window,
with color-coded khz markings on it. Built like an
absolute battleship with a CAST aluminum chassis with
each stage isolated from the other by cast aluminum
walls. Naturally, there is no cabinet since this was
part of a much larger console aboard ship. But it is
standard 19 inch rack mount wide by 10.5 inches high.
This one is in good cosmetic condition inside and out.
I powered it up only enough to see that it does not
smoke and lights up as it should. I noticed that the
right-angle chain drive on the MC display has a loose
chain, which makes the MC numbers not display properly
in the little window. So that will have to be
tightened to adjust the chain. The KC film dial is in
great shape and is not fragile. Probably one of the
best tube receivers ever made. Competes on equal
footing with the R390A. A fun and unique radio for
your collection. With power cord. No manual. $595

Tube testing power supply? I think that is what this
is. Picture this: This thing is commercially-made (or
maybe military), 17.25 inches wide, 11 inches tall and
7 inches deep. It's painted a uniform blue-gray
wrinkle. The left two-thirds of the front panel have
the knobs and switches, with a row of 3 meters across
the top.  The right one-third of the front panel is
occupied by a hinged, windowed door that opens up
vertically. The door goes around the corner of the
chassis and is 5 inches wide on the front and on the
side. Lifting up the door (which has an interlock on
it), we see three ceramic-mounted connections marked
+1000  +250  and GRID BIAS. Two inches below these
connections are three banana jacks, red-black-red,
unmarked. And below them are three binding posts-all
black  My guess is that the binding posts were used to
mount some sort of socket adapter and supply filament
voltage. The controls to the immediate left of the
door are for filament voltage. At the bottom is  an
on-off switch and pilot light-marked FILAMENT. Above
these is a variac knob to adjust the filament voltage.
The filament voltage meter is in the center of the row
of 3 and goes from 0 to 12 volts. Above the filament
voltage variac knob is a meter labeled 0-500 volts
AC-for what I can't say. The controls in the center
are a toggle switch marked CUT OFF one way and PEAK
EMISSION the other. Above that are two push-pull
switches. One is labeled "IN 1 MA  OUT 10 MA" and the
other says "IN 3 VOLTS  OUT 12 VOLTS". Finally, at the
far left bottom, there is a toggle switch and pilot
light that says POWER. Above that is a knob attached
to a  pot that says GRID BIAS. At the top, the
leftmost meter in the row of 3, labeled BIAS VOLTAGE,
has a 0-150 volts DC scale. On the back of this thing
are 2 fuses and the power connector.  So my guess is
that this was used to build curves for a couple
specific types of triodes (there's
no screen supply). But the tube socket adapter(s) are
missing. And it has some mods-the interlock switch is
gone, the "1MA-10MA" pull switch is now a pot with a
knob, and the blades on the power connector have been
soldered-to. But it may still be usable in its
original role. And certainly has lots of good HV power
supply goodies in it. For the adventurer. Weighs about
30 pounds. As-is. $15

Thanks for looking.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)