[AMRadio] Tansmitter power reduction (Ranger)

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Thu Nov 17 13:16:46 EST 2005

John,

I've run the Ranger PA of the LV B+, as indicated in a previous post,
with no overstressing of the supply. Then again, the power supply in my
Ranger is non-original - different XFMR, and solid-state rectifiers in
the "economy" hookup for low and high B+. The rig was a bsket case when
I got it, and I've never laid eyes on the original power xfmr. That
said, the xfmr in there appears no beefier than the original, perhaps
less so.

I know for a fact Timtron (WA1HLR) also has had experience running the
Ranger PA off the LV B+, and he advocates this method to anyone wishing
to drive an amplifier with the Ranger.

One thing - The PA plate current meter won't read when doing this -
unless you change the wiring in the radio, as I did, so that it reads
when either the HV B+ and LV B+ supplies are employed. Alternatively,
you can add an external meter without taking the Ranger out of the
cabinet (in series with the appropriate pins on the accessory plug).

73/GL,
-Larry/NE1S