[AMRadio] AM lower Sensitivity?

bcarling at cfl.rr.com bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 4 05:20:35 EDT 2005

Dear Jose,
I think the problem may be that your TS140 does not have an AM
filter.
If that is the case, then it is trying to squeeze all of a 6 kHz
AM signal through a 2.3 or 2.7 kHz wide SSB filter.
It appears to lose al ot of sensitivity, especially on the higher
audio frequencies.  You will generally find the sensitivity of
the receiver sufficient for hearing AM. I do prefer Yaesu rigs on
AM over a Kenwood, however, your TS140s certainly ought to be
sensitive enough to hear the guys on AM from around Europe.

What bands are you using? Perhpas you can consult with some
of the fellows like my friend Dave, G3UUR who is a regular
on 160m, 80m, 20m and 10m AM. He is close enough that
you ought to be abable to hear each other well. He also
knows a number of other active G-stations using AM.

Brian