[AMRadio] 6m AM and 2m AM Activity

Paul Sokoloff dogfaces at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 11:24:04 EDT 2005

Hello all,
    I am a vhf uhf microwave operator in the Phila. area.  I have tried to
check into several 6M AM nets in Media, PA. and Washington, DC.  The people
in Media couldn't hear me (only 15 miles away).  I think Washington was too
far for AM ground wave.  The participants in these activities need to
realize that good antenna height is necessary when dealing with the reduced
signal to noise mode of AM.  This is not repeaters.  A vertical or 3 element
beam on the chimney will not work well for any kind of distance ( even 20
miles)
    I would like to see a 6 meter AM net or increased activity in the Philly
area.  I have been reluctant to do the 6 meter boatanchor thing until I see
more activity.  I got my start at 13 with a Utica 650 and then the Gonset
G-50.  Ah, what fun!

73s,  Paul  WA3GFZ