[AMRadio] FT102 and HDVL for 160

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sun Oct 9 19:44:43 EDT 2005

Somewhere around here I've got a 160 HDVL that I started to attempt to
repair years ago.

I gave up in frustration.  Lots of turns on that thing.

And speaking of lots of turns:  I've got a coil with no markings, that can
be read, that is exactly the same as an HDVL, excepting that the variable
coil is mounted on bearings inside the coil.  Very similar to the BC-610
coils.

This thing is quite large in diameter, perhaps 25% larger than the HDVL, and
measures 60 milihenries end to end.

The swinging-link (or rotating in this case) coil is six turns of heavy
edge-wound strap.

Anyone got any idea what this thing is?

73, Barrie, W7ALW