[AMRadio] BC-610 down=up

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:16:54 EDT 2005

On 10/25/05, VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Todd,
>
> I bet you will find the filament rheostat has a dead
> spot in part of its travel, where the brush rested for
> years until someone swapped the wires so that the
> OTHER part of the excursion now gets used.
>
> People do this with spigots too, where off = on.

To be honest, I haven't had time to do much more than a cursory
checkover before powering up, so anything is possible. It's not my
intention to try to actually load, tune, or in any way use the
transmitter until I have a manual in front of me and have cleaned up
more of the mess. I really just wanted to make sure it functioned at a
basic level before I started removing the rat's nest of wires added
for audio. Fil. control seems smooth over the small distance I
covered, but I didn't play with it much for fear of cooking toobs!

> OK, now that you've sampled the BC-610, when are you
> getting after the Collins 300-G ?  It's not that it
> needs much...

Not much, but more than you'd think. Mainly, I need to get the large
ceramic tank coil back from Ray if he has it re-wound and get it
reinstalled, then I can put the rest up top back together and get the
iron back in. The lower deck needs paint, but that's an hour or two
tops, and repainting the iron won't be an issue. The trick is going to
be repairing and replacing (source?) that black HV wire going to the
large oil filled caps on top, all chopped up from that Gates power
reduction unit I have since removed.

I'd like to have it going Thanksgiving weekend, so that it gets a
shakedown run or two before the HMR. Of course, I still need to figure
out how to make the 160m 'homebrew dipole' <*slapping knee*> fit my
property. No crystals either, but Barry gave me the VFO cord he used
with it, which plugs into one of the 40F oscillators. Should work fine
lashed to one of those T-368 PTO/VFO units like you use?

Maybe 1-2 good weekends of work, once everything else like winterizing
the house is done, and another 300G should be joining the ranks on
160. Wx here in the northeast has been anything but helpful.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ