[AMRadio] cheap china phone

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:28:46 EDT 2005

On 10/28/05, W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> VJB wrote:
>
> >Geez, Geoff, if it's a $10 cheap China phone cutting
> >back OMR's air time after 50 years, we can pass the
> >hat to pay to get yer neighbor a better phone !!!
> >
> >Paul/VJB
> >

> To that end, I was going to post a message asking if anyone wanted to
> git rid of their older style Bell phones... touch-tone, preferred, but
> the old phones with the mechanical bells (and less circuitry) would be
> preferred.

Misery loves company Geoff, as they say. This is also what has made me
leery of putting a respectable signal back on the air as well, being
right in the middle of town with neighbors as close as 100' give or
take combined with the proliferation of garbage consumer electronics.
The only issue of interference I've ever had locally was at my
previous address, a neighbor's cheap Asian phone. Wasn't bothering my
own phone or any of the neighbors (I went door to door and asked), but
down the hill a ways one person was hearing me loud and clear.
Nevermind that they weren't hearing me on any of their other phones,
to them the issue was 'we weren't having any problems before you
started talking'. Trying to point out that my transmissions had merely
uncovered the poor design of that particular phone was a waste of
breath.

The concern for me isn't keeping the peace so much as having trouble
similar to what happened to Tim some years back, costing him much of
his radio gear and home. While virtually all the neighbors are decent,
reasonable folks, one guy who moved up here from points south has no
consideration for others and has made life miserable for all those
around him, and the authorities find excuses not to do anything about
it. If I could be around the place day and night, it wouldn't be so
much of a concern.

We'll see what happens soon enough. What better piece of test
equipment than a BC-610?  (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ