[AMRadio] BC-610 terminating impedance

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Oct 29 10:39:00 EDT 2005

Bob Wrote:

>Of course I have not pursued a whip installation.  It
>would seem to be a useless endeavor as the 160, 80,
40, >and 20 meter bands are "normally" of horizontal
>polarization.  I see no logic in operating in cross
>polarization, and making communications more
difficult >than necessary.

Hi Bob, I enjoyed your BC-610 thread. It makes me wish
I had obtained one back when I had several chances. I
recall a story from Dave, W6PSS when he was moving his
three 610's in a trailer, and was involved in a bad
traffic accident. He was OK, but the 610's did not
fare well.

Now about that polarization issue you mentioned. I had
long in depth conversations with the late Ozona Bob,
W5PYT concerning this. What I recall is that when
receiving skip at HF, the polarization is constantly
changing, and the QSB you experience is in part due to
that. The other part is vector addition & subtraction
from picking up the same signal from different paths,
phase, and time delay. Bob figured that if he
transmitted circular polarization this would in effect
reduce QSB at the receiving end. I recall he had huge
diagonally mounted turnstile dipoles mounted nearly a
football field high (the top). At my QTH (Austin), he
was always on the S-meter peg, and NO QSB. That was a
distance of 250 miles, day and night.

I myself would be hesitant to put up a 80 meter
vertical because my buddies close in within Texas
would have trouble hearing me if they were beyond
groundwave distance, and before the first hop
distance.

Now how does KC9VF get out so well? Doesn't he have a
vertical dipole on 80 meters?

For skip reception, it seems that the transmitted
polarization, isn't a big issue, but more of a angle
of radiation issue.

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5KJKO