[AMRadio] High Voltage Power Supplies

bcarling at cfl.rr.com bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 30 08:27:23 EST 2005

On 30 Oct 2005 at 9:08, Ed Swynar wrote:

> Is this the reult of transients / voltage spikes somehow "overwhelming"
> the diodes...?

Probably - why not try one of those transient suppressors (varistor I think)
on the primary side of your power tranny?
I just put one in my Astron 35M and it eliminated the "THUNK!"
at power-on.

A number of guys have put them into Johnson xmtrs with similar improvement.
Maybe it could save your diode strings.

Do you have a capacitor-input filter on the p.s.u.?
Choke input filters tend to be a bit kinder to the rectifiers.

73 de AF4K, Bry