[AMRadio] Ozona Bob's antennas

Brian K Harris brian.k.harris at philips.com
Sun Oct 30 10:43:57 EST 2005

While Ozona Bob may have had a turnstile up there somewhere, I never saw
it when I visited him nor do I recall him transmitting with one.  Perhaps
he used one for listening.  The 75 meter antenna he used for transmitting
every time I talked to him on 75 meters, and there were many, was
diagonally mounted, but it wasn't a turnstile.  It was a 3 element wire
beam installed, if I remember correctly (my notes about it are here
somewhere), at about a 50 degree angle and pointing roughly NE.   He was
regularly 40-50 dB over S9 in North Texas anytime in the evening through
early morning.  He also had many 10's of thousands of feet of wire for a
ground system buried and on top of the ground all around his concrete
block shack.  I remember him boisting about the increases in antenna
current he achieved every time he added more surplus wire to that ground
system.  We all should be so fortunate to have a similar transmitting
location.

P.S.  I bought and still have a 32V3 and an HRO-60 from him during my last
visit, which was maybe a year or two prior to his death.

Brian K. Harris, WA5UEK

"Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
Sent by:
amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
Please respond to
Discussion of AM Radio <amradio at mailman.qth.net>

"Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [AMRadio] BC-610 terminating impedance
Classification