[AMRadio] Unified Amatuer Radio License

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 17:30:50 EDT 2005

(Boy, ain't it the truth?!?)

Thanks and a tip o' the hat to a fellow reader. (I ain't saying who)
-Geoff/W5OMR

NEW UNIFIED AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE EXAM AS PROPOSED BY ARRL

The new unified amateur radio test has been announced and is here. A few
important changes have been made. The new test has been designed in
order that the same test can be given for all license classes. To
qualify for the higher classes of license, all you have to do is score
better on the test. This makes things so much simpler for VE's.

  I have included a copy of the new exam.

  Please PRINT (that means no squiggly lines)

  YOUR NAME (what they call you) _________________________________

  ADDRESS (where you live) ________________________________________

  BIRTH DATE (when you were born) ________________________________

  EXAM INSTRUCTIONS:

  Make a circle (one of these round things O ) around the letter of the best

  answer! This is so we know what your answer to the question is!

  1. You TALK into a microphone with your

  A. Hands

  B. Feet

  C. Toes

  D. Mouth

  E. Armpits

  2. When you talk into a microphone, you talk into

  A. the front

  B. the back

  C. the top

  D. the bottom

  E. the wire

  3. "HEADPHONES" are worn over the

  A. Knees

  B. Eyes

  C. Toes

  D. Ears

  E. Lips

  4. What do you do with the AC line cord coming out of a power supply?

  A. Hold it in the air to pick up signals

  B. Pull on it to start the motor

  C. Talk into the plug to get real "skip DX"

  D. Hook it to your antenna

  E. Insert the plug into a source of power

  5. A "two meter" radio is:

  A. twice as strong as a one-meter radio

  B. two one-meter radios in series

  C. a CB with two meters on the front panel

  D. a good doorstop

  E. a monoband radio

  6. A "ten-foot mast" is how long?

  A. Three meters

  B. Ten pounds

  C. Two meters

  D. Tree-top tall

  E. Same length as basketball hoop is high

  7. A "Triband antenna" is made to work on how many bands?

  A. 1

  B. 2

  C. 3

  D. 4

  E. 10

  8. The "Marconi" antenna is named after:

  A. Marconi

  B. Mantovani

  C. macaroni

  D. Dean Martin

  E. martini

  9. What colors of DIODES can you buy at a Radio Shack store?

  A. Red, blue and black

  B. Red, yellow and green

  C. Orange and brown

  D. I am color blind so this is a discriminatory question and I

  should automatically get a waiver on this question.

  E. I have no intention of ever using DIODES, so don't care what color

  they are.

  10. What color of SLURPEE can you buy at 7-11?

  A. Red, blue and black

  B. Red, yellow and green

  C. Orange and brown

  D. I am color blind so this is a discriminatory question and I

  should get another waiver on this question. I now have

  two questions right.

  E. All the above

  11. You have just installed your new mobile rig in your vehicle and you

  are still parked at the curb, you need to pull out into traffic and you

  are talking to another station?

  A. You put down the mic long enough to signal that you intend

  to pull away from the curb

  B. You keep on talking and just pull out in traffic

  C. You open your left rear door to signal that you want to pull

  out in traffic, while calling CQ DX on the repeater

  D. You install a light bulb at the top of your antenna so that it

  will flash when you are talking on the radio and people will

  then know to let you out

  END OF EXAM.

  YOUR SIGNATURE (slap your tag here)

  SCORING:

  Get FOUR correct and you get an EXTRA!!!! Get TWO right and you get a

  GENERAL!!! Get ONE right and you get a TECHNICIAN! Get None right. Go

  back out in parking lot and study another five minutes. When you are
done, come back in and try again.