[AMRadio] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Sun Sep 18 09:00:34 EDT 2005

Low-voltage DC on the windings would do it.  It would
be tricky to figure a current that would produce enough
heat without toasting anything, though.  Probably
something around the maximum operating current would do
it, over time.  I would put the primary and secondary
windings in series, and heat the whole core.  You might
try to arrange the connections to approximately cancel
the DC flux in the core.

Put the core in a blanket so the heat builds up, and
monitor its temperature.  My guess is it will take days
to build up the heat.  You want to heat it up so it is
warm to hot to the touch, (maybe 140F / 60C), but you
don't want to scorch it.

Another thought is to get a few electric space heaters
and point them at the unit, and let them heat it up.
Again, monitor its temperature.  With this kind of
heating power, you really need to watch it closely.

  Bacon, WA3WDR