[AMRadio] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 10:41:41 EDT 2005

Don,

Here is the section in my article from ER
Magazine on rebuilding an RCA  BTA-1R1 on the
homemade over I used with great sucess.  all you
need is a thermostatically controlled hotplate a thermometer and a hood.

from my RCA BTA-1R! article in ER

A check of all the iron with a 1000V 1000 megohm
ohmmeter showed excessive leakage (less than 1000
megs) in the modulation reactor, the driver plate
transformer, and the control transformer.  The
control transformer makes 110VAC for relays and
lamps from the 240V input.  The smaller
transformers were baked in the kitchen oven at
140 degrees F for 5 hours.  For the very heavy 50
henry modulation reactor, I fashioned a homemade
“oven” using a thermostatically controlled single
burner hotplate and a hood made from an old water
heater jacket (Figure 1).  This allowed me to
cook the transformer out in the garage near the
rig.  An oven thermometer allowed me to set the
oven temperature to 140 degrees F and after 25
hours of “baking”, the leakage was cured. All of
these transformers and chokes were then dipped in
transformer varnish to re-seal the winding from new moisture incursion.

Regards,

Larry W3LW