[AMRadio] Drying iron

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sun Sep 18 12:34:07 EDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, John Lyles wrote:

> You could put a short on the secondary terminals, and run up the primary
> voltage with a variac, to where you get the full current flowing in the
> short.

  I second this, with a slight caveat - I've used this technique over the
years for transformers and chokes that have been in damp places, out in
the weather, (or in a few cases actually submerged) - however I terminate
the secondaries in some appropriate resistance - sometimes various lamps
work nicely for this - and then use a Variac on the primary, and use
plenty of patience!

   If there's a lot of water, you have to take it very slow as it's sure to
arc no matter what you do - this causes insulation damage and super-heated
steam in the windings.

   But this is by far the best method, since it heats 'from the inside out'
- all the major utilities use this when drying out Really Big Iron - even
to dessicate the insulating oil.

   But I don't think I'd short the secondaries - this might tend to
concentrate excessive currents at any 'weak spots'.

   Cheers

John  KB6SCO