[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

W2AGN w2agn at pobox.com
Sun Sep 18 17:18:24 EDT 2005

bcarling at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> SSB is a orm of amplitude modulation.
>
> I think a large threat comes both from SSB and from
> the DIGITAL ops running certain modes.
> The majority of the digital ops are a good bunch and
> they respect the phone and AM  mode phone ops.
>
> However, some of the proponents of PACKET on HF
> are very well connected politically and financially
> and they are exerting al ot of control ove rthe ARRL
> leadership now, and they even want to make all of HF
> digital including the voice functions, so they are a threat
> to both SSB and AM modes.

Not PACKET, but PACTOR, specifically the PACTOR II and III modes, which
are used with Winlink, which the ARRL is trying to shove down everyone's
throat. Obtaining more space for the PACTOR Robots to forward email was
the prime reason for the ARRL's recent "Bandwidth" proposal.

--
   / \   / \   / \   / \   / \   John L. Sielke