[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

bcarling at cfl.rr.com bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 17:32:48 EDT 2005

On 18 Sep 2005 at 17:18, W2AGN wrote:

> Not PACKET, but PACTOR, specifically the PACTOR II and III modes, which
> are used with Winlink, which the ARRL is trying to shove down everyone's
> throat. Obtaining more space for the PACTOR Robots to forward email was
> the prime reason for the ARRL's recent "Bandwidth" proposal.

John is 100% right, and I would state further that this is the
most insidious thing to happento amateur radio in the past 30
years.

Worst yet it is an attack on amateur radio being PAID FOR
by our tax dollars through our wonderful Dept. of Homeland
Security.

The Pactor / Winlink organization is getting many thousands of
dollars
from Federal and local government to buy them these
overpriced modems that pollute the HF bands with QRM
far worse than anything BPL has so far created.

It's sick - at the rate they are going, we can soon take the
word "amateur" out of the whole thing. I pulled out of
ARRL after their latest foray into stupidity.

Thankfully there are still a few people who love AM that
are toughing it out and staying in ARRL and influencing things
positively.

I plan to send them a letter EVERY year with a copy of
my check made out to ARRL that is being WITHELD until
they stop promoting WINLINK and other fool hardy
proposals that are detrimental to ham radio.