[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Sun Sep 18 19:21:50 EDT 2005

	Yes, AMers are mavericks but I feel that the ones that did not
go to SSB (100%) back in the 60s and 70s, are the ones that didn't have
any trouble communicating with whom ever they wanted and for the most
part this took place because they were very knowledgeable folks with a
desire to experiment and modify, or build from scratch, a better rig.
("That was a run on sentence if there was", somebody help me with that.)
Where as, the folks that just wanted to talk, collect cards and handle
traffic found that buying a new SSB rig made that easier.  I don't think
there is anyone among us that will deny the communication capabilities
of a good SSB station.  What many folks do forget is that the engineers
that researched and designed the SSB technologies were AM ops with
mostly home brewed or highly modified stuff.  Where do you think the
ingenuity and knowledge to design the SSB stuff came from?  I don't mean
to put down the folks that like to handle traffic, etc. There expertise
is certainly welcome in any part of the world.  A lot of these arguments
can be said for CW as well.  But when a SSB station, running 100 watts,
can't cut the mustard or the rig don't work,  I would be willing to bet
there or a lot of us AMers that could build a self oscillating single
tube or Xsistor transmitter and be on the air with CW in short order
with some junk parts.

	What I am saying is that it takes all sorts of people with
expertise in different areas to make this hobby work and if we forget
the old technologies then where are the building blocks for the future.
And if there is only a few modes to operate then where is the incentive
to learn.

	There will always be some nuts that go buy a rig just to get on
the air and talk trash.  They were there in the 50s, 60s, and 70s as
well.

	I love to find a use for things for which it was not intended.

John, WA5BXO