[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

crawfish crawfish at surfmore.net
Sun Sep 18 20:59:35 EDT 2005

Western Electric developed it for use on phone lines in 1915. It was not
used very much until 1947 on the ham bands until W6QYT and the group at
Stanford began using it on 75m. There was mention of ham use of SSB in 1933,
but it took W6QYT to spearhead the thing. Of course, Collins pushing the use
of it to Gen. LeMay for military communications in the late 1950's really
spurred it on. However, I love the sound of AM. The problem with SSB is that
the fidelity stinks. Most everyone has to use phonetics. Long like double
sideband, full carrier,Advanced Modulation, not Scientific Step Backwards!
                                  73 de Joe W4AAB