[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Sun Sep 18 21:26:17 EDT 2005

Brian,
	You are probably correct on the organizations credited for SSB
engineering.  My point was that AM was what was studied and had to exist
before SSB and it was the same type of mind set that did the
engineering.  I would bet they were hams that made a living doing what
they enjoyed.  What little I know of history but I have found that many
people with the design and engineering bug are hams, and that the ideas
they have, stem from their experiences in amateur radio.  I would guess
that it happened something like this.  An over simplification I am sure!

1. An old AM rig is being operated by an engineering and resourceful
individual.

2. He gets better receiving equipment where he can notch out an unwanted
carrier or narrow down the band pass for CW.  (He probably built or
modified the receiver)

3. He finds that tuning off the side and notching the AM carrier causes
distortion. Reinserting the carrier with a LOCAL BFO improves reception.

4. Experiments and learns all the spectrum parameters of AM discovering
that the intelligence is in one sideband.

5. He works with others at work to come up with a phasing system to
eliminate the carrier (Work done by GE I think, help me here Don, K4KYV)
Later, comes up with audio phasing so that one side band can be
eliminated.

6. Collins comes up with better filtering circuits and decides that the
filtering circuit is better for the military systems due to its
simplicity for the user and get a contract with the military.

7. Mean while, back on the ranch, hams that work for "Bell Tell" are
trying to do multiplexing using independent DSB.

The scenarios could go on and on but I bet they were HAMS and had AM
rigs in 1930.

John, WA5BXO