[AMRadio] Drying iron

James M. Walker chejmw at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Sep 18 23:47:41 EDT 2005

Yes it was covered before, and at that time I thought I would come up
with a viable way to dry out transformers, without going to extremes.
My solution was, an old Chemistry dept drying oven for glassware. They
are large and usually have steel racks in them, and a hole in the top
for a rubber stopper with a thermometer that monitors the inside temp.

I spotted one, grabbed it and only had to replace the temperature
control
device. Since I acquired it, I have used it to "cook" several
transformers
from Hallicrafters and RCA equipment. Some might say it takes up a lot
of space, I say yes they do but they also come in handy for drying
things
out. The Idea crossed my mind when we used to do thermal testing of
military radios also, that facility was lovingly called the shake and
bake device, as it also included a shaker table.
YMMV
Jim
WB2FCN