[AMRadio] Re: AM and SSB history (was: Eliminate AM)

Chris Codella, W2PA w2pa at arrl.net
Mon Sep 19 12:38:06 EDT 2005

First of all:  Jack has the right idea - everybody should read his
posting.  The same holds for CW: it will not disappear because of
digital modes or lack of FCC requirement.  One of the greatest aspects
of being a ham is the ability to pick and choose the activites and modes
in which one is most interested.  They all have a place.  It's ironic
that some of the most technically savvy hams these days are finding
interesting new things to do with some of the the oldest technologies,
AM and CW.

Next - there's been some interesting notes about the origins of SSB so I
thought I'd add the following bit of history you might find interesting
too:  In Terman's book "Radio Engineering", the standard text for this
subject in the 30s and 40s, he points out that (in 1932) "The only
single side-band radio system in commercial operation is the long-wave
transatlantic telephone...", and that SSB "... is extensively used in
carrier-current communication over wire lines, but the difficulty of
producing large amounts of single side-band power at radio frequencies
and the difficulty of receiving the signals have prevented single
side-band transmission from being standard practice in radio work."

A decade or two of research can do wonders.

73,
Chris, W2PA