[AMRadio] The zeal to eliminate AM mode on the amateur bands.

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:56:40 EDT 2005

>SSB was devleoped by AT&T in the 20's for use on the Trans Atlantic cable.

No, it was used on longwave.  The early transatlantic cable had so much
capacitance that it could only be used for telegraphy, and at extremely slow
speed.  I don't think transatlantic voice cables were developed until mid
30's or even during or after WW2.

BTW, an interesting exhibit regarding transatlantic cables is on display in
the London science museum.  I would highly recommend it to anyone who
happens to visit that city.  When I was last there about 5 years ago, the
Science Museum was sort of a museum of a museum.  Some of the dusty exhibits
were so old they were museum pieces themselves, but I thought it was
extremely interesting, with more appeal to me than most modern day
multi-media museum displays.  Hope all that stuff is still there.  Much old
radio apparatus as well.

Don k4kyv