[AMRadio] The matter of "AM Windows"

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Mon Sep 19 21:19:23 EDT 2005

Well, I must be mellowing. I have to agree with Paul. Constraining AM
QSO's to an imaginary window (since for the most part, only AM'ers really
acknowledge that it exists) can be counterproductive. Unless you like 6,
8, 10, 14 member roundtables,  grab the receiver tuning knob and find a
vacant spot elsewhere on the dial and then move the VFO dial there. I
have called CQ numerous times on AM, out of the imaginary window, and
have been answered by AM'ers. Many times I get answered by SSB'ers who
don't realize I'm on AM, and after telling them so, they press that AM
button their transceiver, and we have a great QSO. Some even comment that
this was the first time they tried that button. It always winds up being
an enjoyable experience for both sides and we get to spread the super
sound of AM.

Pete, wa2cwa