[AMRadio] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 20 01:24:26 EDT 2005

My BC-610 plate transformer (open frame) is available free to pick up from
Roundrock, Texas...

I once rebuilt a Globe King 500 RF plate transformer, and made the secondary
winding w/o a ct, to save wire, and use a bridge rectifier. I did a really
good job with it, and vacuum impregnated it, baked it, and all that. Problem
was however that when I went to reinstall the E & I laminations, I only got
about 95% of them dudes back on before I ran out of room. The core had
shrunk on the mandrel when I rewound it. The consequence? The primary when
excited with 120 vac was saturating (pulled 10 amps unloaded), and was only
OK at 105 vac and below. Turned into a door stop, and then landfill. sigh.

So Gary, if you rewind your 610 plate transformer, I have a suggestion.
Whatever the turns ratio is, maintain that, BUT increase the number of
primary turns at least 5% to avoid the problem that I had with core
saturation at normal 2005 line voltage.

Jim