[AMRadio] RE: AM Window and the Survival of AM

Brian Sherrod arksky at alltel.net
Tue Sep 20 15:20:00 EDT 2005

(See original text by John Coleman below)

VERY good John.  Your words hit home for me even though I've not been around quite as
long as you.  Sorry OM!  You gave it away when you mentioned the 1950's TV set.
However I DO remember the TV man coming to fix the 1960's set right in our house.  I
sat right there on the floor with him and watched intensely wondering how all this
"stuff" made the pictures and sounds come in as they did.  I will also never forget
the "smell" coming from inside the opened up TV with the tubes hot and dust cooking
on the resistors.  Not long after all my questions about how this stuff worked, my
father came home with a used Hallicrafters S-38 so I could listen to the SW stations
coming in from all over the world.  My older brother and father setup a long wire
antenna outside and the rest is history.  I was forever hooked...

BTW, one Ham your list did not have that I noted right away was W5PYT, "Ozona Bob".
He made some real long "old buzzards", but nevertheless was very captivating to me
and a good friend.

Others I can mention who are now gone are; K5NYT Gene, W0BVA Mike,  Paul in NM (can't
remember his call), and I'm sure I'm forgetting some...  Oh and whatever happened to
"Sulphur John"?  I haven't heard from him in many years.

Brian / w5ami

--------------------------
What AM Is To Me

by John E. Coleman, WA5BXO

Operating AM is not about communicating using the most efficient mode of
transmission or the latest technology. It is about technical
understanding of what is really happening in one's transmitter. Not just
the standard old definitions but down in the nitty-gritty. It is about
understanding the technology of old and new. It's about understanding
why one circuit is better suited for a job than another even though both
have the same definition. It is about home-brew equipment and
modifications. It is about fellowship and a gentleman's mannerisms. It
is about fun in learning. It's a little new stuff mixed with some
nostalgia and used in a mode that is pleasurable to the operator and the
listener.

Sounds a lot like Ham Radio in general.

Don't misunderstand me, there is a lot more to Ham Radio than operating
AM. There are so many aspects of Ham Radio that I'm sure I could not do
the list justice. For this I am glad. Ham Radio has always been the
seeds of electronic and communication technology. And I hope it
continues to be.

Somewhere deep in my brain are the memories of the days of learning and
wonderment. I can not forget the first time I saw the bottom of the
Sears 1950 TV as the repairman went in with his meter and hand tools to
repair the set so that I could watch Roy Rogers and Dale Evans on the
next Saturday Morning. All the tubes glowing and how did it get in there
(the picture and the sound) I asked myself and many others. Then later
while in high school and having upgraded to general class, I was
privileged to not only see some of the greatest radio transmitters to
have ever been home brewed, but I was known by the men that built them
on a first name basis. Walking in to the shack of K5SWK in the evening
to see the 833s and 866s glowing and to hear the feedback from the
modulation transformer and slight hum of the pole pegs is a memory that
will always make me stop what I doing and ponder the nostalgia. Do I
operate AM because I can't let go of a childhood memory? You bet I do.
And I hope to stir some of those memories in others if possible and to
plant some seeds of my own.

Many Thanks and 73 to those Elmers

Wayne, W5FJS
Otis, K5SWK
Tom, K5IBW
Koby, K5MZH
Jake, K5IQV
Bill, WA5DWX Gene, WA5ATH
Gene, W5HQJ
Roy, W5MRY
Steve, K5LTK
Ronnie, K5MKB
Don, K4KYV

This is just to name a few and I know that a lot are silent keys and
some have changed their calls. But I will always remember them with the
calls heard first.